Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Basic Blog…Whatever “Basic” Means

Well, I guess my blogs have become too academic in nature or too serious / not entertaining enough…or simply not what folks were expecting to read in a blog written by me. I’m not sure what was expected, but I can guess more day-to-day funnies, thoughts, etc.? So, perhaps I’ll give that a whirl…but not today. No, today is simply going to be a post of how I find my spiritual life these days and special prayer requests:

Every day, there is something that frustrates me, small or big, and I have to catch myself and say “It’s gonna be okay.” Even with my patience being stretched to the max through such experiences, I find myself praying so much more than I ever have in my life.

· I pray before I do anything for the office ev-ER-Y-day (outside of my daily prayers with ODB)
· My safety (there’s definitely been shoot-outs and robberies in the local community in less than a week’s time)
· My food (sanitation/cleanliness is DEF not at the level I’m used to or find acceptable…it’s really not existent and I find myself praying, very consciously, that I don’t pick up some crazy stuff. Sidenote: I got sick for the first time two weeks ago…NOT a good feeling AT ALL.)
· My health (I’m almost done with my first bottle of malaria pills – 76 pills – that have kept me from contracting one of the world’s most deadliest diseases)
· My being an example of Christ in how I interact with people and react to what happens to me
· To truly love people who aren’t so loveable (both domestically and abroad)
· My patience, in dealing with people and their differences from me and my growing academically, spiritually, and psychologically (often, I question my sanity)

I think my spiritual life is growing a lot while I’m here, which is the main thing I desired in leaving the States for four months. I don’t feel like I’m growing as quickly as I should and am often disappointed in myself for still falling into the same temptations/thoughts/feelings that I did when I was younger in my walk…but I find comfort from the fact that all the planting can be done by various people/programs/etc, but only God waters to make growth, so I just have to find patience in growing. Our Daily Bread has been one of my best friends here, as the message often seems to be speaking directly to me every day. (Gracias, Fajja, for the delivery!)

Anyways, let me get to my prayer requests:

· My VISA needs to be extended ASAP (it expires on April 14 and my supervisor is dragging her feet in dealing with this issue). Also that I would be able to change my flight back to the States to a few days earlier…
· PeaceCorps medical clearance and placement ASAP. The PeaceCorps has received all my forms, but they still need to give me final medical clearance and place me in a Central/South American country. (Sorry to everyone who wants to know where/when I’m going and I keep saying “I don’t know.” Trust me, when I know somethin’, you’ll know. UPDATE: I just got en email that said I’m dentally cleared – thankful that brushing twice a day has paid off. Hahahaha)
· Health. That I would continue to stay healthy from any int’l travel problems…and that my body would fix itself in certain areas (I definitely went swimming this past weekend and had a VERY bad allergic reaction to the water. I’m ok now, but my BP was DEF through the roof and I was worried for myself)
· Nigerian public education system…that kids would get better access to a good future
· A philanthropy fellowship at University of Texas-Austin. I applied for a fellowship that is to start in June, so pray that I’d be able to do that AND PeaceCorps. It'll be an awesome opportunity to study community service and develop something that's really publishable (word?)
· Opening myself up more (more than I already have) to people I work with so I can have more fun in the area
· Religious acceptance (Muslims and Christians). I received an email from the U.S. embassy warning all U.S. travelers in Nigeria that said all traffic for U.S. citizens to/from/through Jos, a northern state about 10hrs away – it’s really not that far, but the roads are just that bad, should be only for official use until further notice. The violence there is outta hand, but I wanted to go there in a few weeks for a co-workers wedding. Probably not gonna happen if this security issue isn’t resolved
· Finishing out this practicum with my best efforts. I’m quite tired, but I know that if I don’t leave everything as it should be, then my time will have been for not and we can’t have THAT happen
· My girlfriends back home. All of them. Tati, Sherita, Killa, Megs, Mahone, Dunn, Jill, Why-vonne, Bibel, Shanika, Rougye-Mama, Sheba. Most of these ladies are hustling for a job to start in May/June of this year (CONGRATS to Tati for a new gig in Miami – I’mma see you down there shawty!). Others are in need of prayer for healing from hurt. Still others are just needing God’s comfort and protection.

That’s all I got for now. I’m thankful that God has kept me this far in my journey. It’s truly amazing how I have to continue to be humbled by God’s grace and mercy to thank Him for even allowing me this far in life and this trip especially. I’m praying that God continues to grow me in all areas of my life and that I would just continue to rely on Him for life, health, and strength.

Here’s the lyrics to India.Arie’s “Grains” interlude off her new CD. It’s beautiful…and so is she. Get the CD if you can…it’s inspirational, ESP the song “He Heals Me.”

Part 1:
“I’m grateful that thankful that You created me
From the same grains/from the same thing.
I’m grateful that You never cease to amaze me
The way You love me.

Part 2:
I’m grateful that You never cease to amaze me
The way you love me
From the flicker of an eyelash/from the furthest star
From the pyramids/to the beat of my heart
From a woman in Somalia to a child in Harlem
We were created from the same thing
I’m grateful that You created me from the same grains
From the same thing
I’m grateful that You never cease to amaze me
The way You love me.

Part 3:
Every human being who is
Who has been
And who ever will be
From the most famous/to the most anonymous
We were created from the same thing
You know how many hairs are on every head
And the intention of every heart/ no matter the words we said
And every time I think I’m separate
I remember we were created by one God

I’m grateful that You created me from the same grains
From the same thing
I’m grateful that You never cease to amaze me
The way You love me.

Part 4:
I’m grateful that now I can see
That I am a part of everything
And everything is a part of meYou’re amazing”

Love Always,
JadeinNigeria

6 comments:

Y ACHIEVERS Black College Tour Crew said...

Glad you're safe and well!

Y ACHIEVERS Black College Tour Crew said...

And uh...write what you want, I guess. You're there, I'm here, we'll meet in-between and go from there (and you can read that statement lots of ways.)

Love,
me

Jade said...

Hmmmmmm!!!

Glad you got the update! Email you later!

yvonne said...

You're so inspirational!

And I'll def be praying for you. So proud that you passed your dental exam hee hee... so random.


Oh, and FYI, I love reading all your posts... from the mean dog to the serious issues in Nigeria... love them all :)

Unknown said...

Wow..you are def in my prayers daily

Rorujorona said...

the hurts have increased, but for the good. holla at me on that.

getting about more selfish about you peace corpsing.... really want you back here.