Friday, February 20, 2009

My "Fore-Fathers"

Culture shock finally setting in...?

So, today marks the second day of crying (not in a row, but Wednesday, I cried in the morning at the office), needing to take a 2-hour leave from work just to let it all go. Hmm...little things are adding up and I've contemplated more than once consultating with British Airways on getting me the next flight outta here. I enjoy most things about Ibadan and my work here with CEDAR...but, I think the vast differences between Nigeria and the U.S.A. are starting to not be so intriguing / interesting anymore, but annoying and difficult to deal with on a daily basis.

I don't know...I just don't know.

I know I'm a strong / determined person, in more ways than one, so I really want to be a person who sticks this out and finishes the next three months, but, at the same time, I think about whether such stress is really worth it? Should I really put myself through all this just to further my career (yeeeessssss says the independent chick) or do I let the part of me that says nothing should disturb your mental state, no matter what it will do for you in the future.

I don't know...I just don't know....

On a related note, I realized that I strongly dislike "my" forefathers. The persons who cherished...

-Advancement over humanity
-Enslavement over dignity
-Name over people
-Valuing the first position as opposed to the last position
-Leading instead of learning
-Money over relationships
-Power over humility

...that I now have to suffer in a new land because of how the U.S. has treated every other nation. That now, because the U.S. has taken advantage of every other nation (or seemingly so), that I now am being taken advantage of because my accent now gives me away that I'm a foreigner...and my English is too good to be from another African country (what I've been told).

God, please let justice be served someday.

-JadeD in Nigeria

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! Its Rochelle! I am so proud of you! Hang in there. I miss you alot!

Unknown said...

Hi Haley!! Wow, you've already been in Nigeria for One Whole Month!! On my end, it seemed like a fast month :) but maybe that's because I'm just reading your blog and not there in Nigeria going through all that you're going through, like Johnny the dog. I would've been so terrified of that dog!! I'm glad you got away from that dog and got your own place. Anyway, 3 more months to go. That's less than 4 months :) Take it one day at a time. I will be praying for you. love, Jineane

yvonne said...

hang in there, haley!