Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Remix: 25 Things I’ve Taken for Granted while Living in the U.S.

...b/c I thought it was fitting given the new Facebook craze on listing 25 Random Things about yourself...thought I'd bring the remixed version to my blog. Here's 25 "Random" things I've taken for granted while living in the U.S.ofA.

1. Paved roads, sans large potholes that cause traffic delays and car suspension problems

2. Power…that supplies fans to work in 90+ degree weather everyday, all day

3. Water…that’s clean and without concern for what’s IN the water

4. Ice

5. Ovens that work automatically with the turn of the knob

6. Phone lines that work…all the time

7. Fast internet connection…that’s reliable

8. ::removed::

9. Quietness when I want it…how I want it…with whom I want it

10. HUGS!!!!

11. Showers

12. The washing of hair/clothes with ease and not a 3-5hr ordeal

13. Food; fried foods and chocolate specifically

14. God. The Church. Worship

15. The sacredness of marriage

16. Girls’ night with close boo-status-ed friends (yup, making up words/phrases ALL day)

17. Change…for money

18. Mosquito bites being just that, mosquito bites. Not a bite that could lead to my death (malaria)...

19. My education. My status. My "citizenship."

20. Availability of foods for my diet (lactose-ness and “pickiness”) – supervisor definitely called my “strange” for not drinking tea... Had to walk away on that one.

21. Clean air (relatively speaking)

22. Text messages…

23. Life…

24. Water that’s warm automatically…not needing to be boiled for bathing purposes

25. Communication...English specifically

EDIT (2/9/09)

26. Toilet paper and working toilets


Moments ago, I heard that my good friend's brother was shot on Friday. I have so many emotions, mainly that of not being able to call freely to her and tell her that I love her. Or to hug her. Or to do anything. All I can do is write...and pray I can get phone access later tonight. In the interim, this song immediately came to mind because I saw Bizz in STL right before I left...and we've chatted a little via Facebook, but I never got to update him fully about my first impressions on Nigeria. I'm gonna miss you, man...see you in heaven one day!



"Tell You Something" – Alicia Keys

Get so caught up everyday/Tryna keep it all together
While the time just slips away/You see, I know nothing last forever

Imagine there was no tomorrow
Imagine that I couldn't see your face
There would be no limit to my sorrow
So all I can say

[Chorus:]
I wanna tell you something, give you something
Show you in so many ways
'cause it would all mean nothing if I don't say something before it all goes away.
Don't wanna wait to bring you flowers, waste another hour let alone another day
I'm gonna tell you something, show you something, won't wait till it's too late

Just a simple conversation/Just a moment is all it takes
I wanna be there just to listen/And I don't wanna hesitate

Imagine there was no tomorrow/Imagine that I couldn't see your face
There would be no limit to my sorrow/'cause there's nothing that could fill that space
I don't wanna put it off for too long/I didn't say all that I had to say
I wanna take my time and right the wrong before we get to that place

Just lean on my shoulder/It's not over till it's over
Don't worry about it cause, I'm gonna make sure our bond gets stronger
I don't wanna wait till the storm
and something’s wrong
and now you're gone
and I can't find youI can't wait, I don't wanna wait
--

How I wish I would've written a quick snippet to Bizz about Nigeria. God, please help it to make sense. . . and help the violence stop.

Tati, you and the family are in my prayers. I love you and know that God is with you always...and I'm with you now in spirit from Ibadan.

Awaiting heaven,

JadeInNigeria

3 comments:

Cheeks said...

O, how i cried on this one!!! You could have told me the Bizz stuff was ocming! I was not ready! and i couldnt even stand to look at that picture (*tearing up now*). It is crazy how you take people and your interactions with them for granted (btw, i feel an email coming on so stay posted)

now on the the funny stuff......

You have got to explain some of these. My aunt debra wanted me to tell you she said hi and she wishes you well, but she did want to know if you had toilet paper after I told her about some of your other hygiene issues. i will relay to her that that is not a constant i guess....

Also, what do you mean by the marriage comment? i think there were more i wanted more explanation for but ill let you ponder over these for a sec while i go read the other blog.....

Jade said...

Yes, I cried while writing this Mahone. :( I definitely took him and our interactions for granted and now there's nothing I can do to change anything btw me and him. I can still hear his laugh, his Haitian accent, and see his smile....

I miss Aunt Debra. I think I'm going to adopt myself into your family simply for the laughs I know I'll have at EVERY family function. In terms of toilet paper, you (as a resident here) def need to bring your own toilet paper wherever you go (tho I knwo many folks don't...I just do b/c hell, I USE TOILET PAPER EVERY.TIME!!! But some toilets don't work sometimes, so, you just keep it moving.

Sacredness of marriage - polygamy is practiced here and so I took it for granted in the States how it's one husband to ONE wife...not 8-10wives. It's saddening, really, to see such a union stepped on in this way. It made me wonder, tho, what's the term (or is there one??) for one woman having more than one husband??

What others are you confused about??

Tatiana said...

Reading your blogs has helped me to escape for a while...I appreciate your tribute to my brother...Pass me the tissue please!