How package pick-up slips look................
So, on Tuesday, someone went with me to try to reduce the price, with the customs lady smiling in my face, saying how beautiful I was, that my skin is beautiful (I’m DEFINITELY tanning folks) and that I should be careful here in Nigeria...she said allll that, but turned RIGHT AROUND and told me she wasn’t reducing the price. Even though she knew that I was a student and that the items I had sent were not up for sale (I think that’s the reason they are charging me so much because they think I’m trying to sell the stuff my Mumsi sent), she wouldn’t change her mind. Ain’t THAT some mess?!
I walked away without my packages, trying to decide what to do (the stuff sent wasn't even WORTH $100...). I got mad, though, when several people from the office started questioning me about why my Mumsi would send such things (food and random toiletries). And I snapped and said “BECAUSE SHE’S MY MOM and that’s what GOOD mumsis do!!!!” I had to step back before I went off even further and went to reflect on how awesome my Mumsi is.
I am thankful that my Mumsi thinks about me enough to send me care-packages with random stuff like a booklight and bath oil. Or, to send me dry milk for my lactose needs. And the 8-10 bottles of OFF Insect Repellant that would keep me from swatting at mosquitoes (hahaha Corinna) and decreasing the chances of getting malaria (no snowsuits/snow boots allowed) and the 6-7 boxes of granola bars, which both seem like overkill to many, but I just say “THANKS Mumsi!!” I am thankful for my Mumsi for being so thoughtful and for caring enough about her 25-old-baby that “…will always be [her] baby no matter how old [she] gets…or, until the grandbabies come!”
Mis padres, though they can get on my nerves from time to time (don’t everyone’s???), I am thankful for their continued thoughtfulness, words of wisdom, for raising me to be who I am today and loving me JUST AS I AM! My Fajja told me this morning that “…You can only do so much. Do the best you can with what you have and let that be enough.” Fajja went on to say that “…you are your number one priority. Don’t let nobody take advantage of you because they will if they can. That dog [Johnny] just needs a few whaps with a big stick and he’ll leave you alone. You just watch.” He concluded by saying “…I’m homesick for ya. I be (yes, I be) glad when you get back!”
Padres always know exactly what to say at the right time. I’m also thankful for pseudo padres, who provide additional support and words of encouragement to me (Mama Sheard, Maureen, and Sis Bianca). I pray that one day, I’ll be a good Mumsi like both of mis padres…and YES, I WILL be sending care-packages with random stuff to all 7+ of my kids! I’ll just be sure to include Biblical verses about "sparing the hand that feeds you" for customs to read when they’re sifting through their belongings!
-JadeinNigeria p.s. Check the pics!
Oh yea, here's a song that's a follow up to the previous post, "My Forefathers." This song, introduced to me by Harvest Missionary Community Church (HMCC...how I MISS thee...and my next post is going to be about God here in Nigeria) and based on two passages (Luke 6:27-36 and 1 Corinthians 13:1-3) I read last week about loving people: That I can do all this good work here in Nigeria, but if I don't have love for this country or for its people (even when its people don't do right by me and others) then God just doesn't even hear me and my prayers or see my work for Him.
Here's the lyrics:
Jesus, I could sing
In the tongues of men and angels
But if I have not love
I am just a clanging cymbal, an empty sound
This is a love song
This is a love song
Jesus, a love song to You
A song of devotion, a reverent passion
Savior, a love song to You
Jesus, I could pray
With a faith that moves a mountain
But if I have not love
It is just a noise resounding, an empty sound
This is a love song to You (Hear our devotion)
It's the overflow of hearts
As we gaze upon Your beauty
A reflection of Your worth
For we've seen a glimpse of You in Your glory, Lord
Resort where a burial party was being thrown
Two of the kids that I live with...at the party. BEAUTIFUL!
Which twin is which? Taiwo or Khinde??? (Taiwo - means first to come...as in, he's the 1st twin)
Me and beautiful Nigerian women at the party! :)
Palm tree that's aging
These next pics are from a while ago....
Me at the same funeral with Morenike
Me and my supervisor (far left) and her friend (middle) at wedding
Wedding again

1 comment:
wow, they're holding your package hostage?! holy sheesh that's so annoying. especially the ransom. you're right, that's way more than what they're worth. i hope you get to steal your box back.
that's the kind of stuff my mom would do. i always teared up a little whenever i got a random care package at school. made me miss home a whole lot more.
Post a Comment